Cliffs of Moher

Cliffs of Moher
One of the beautiful sites on our first day

Friday, September 25, 2015

Countdown!



     Talk about excited….or did I say we are all excited? The Countdown started on Labor Day, with a barbecue get together at Anna’s house. Here’s where we picked up some goodies from C.I.E. Tours in Dublin. Leo works the American end of this tour and C.I.E. handles the Ireland side. This seems to be a long time partnership between TLC Tours and C.I.E. Tours. That means experience, folks. When it’s your first time out, it helps to have a guide and people who know the area with you and looking out for you. Check out C.I.E. Tours to see other trips on the agenda for 2016 at C.I.E. Tours Website.
     When we got to Anna’s house, with pot luck goodies in hand, Patti had a pile of goodies for us. Our final itinerary was in. So were flight numbers and seat assignments. C.I.E. also sent us a backpack, luggage belt, luggage tags, tour information, and a host of other items for us to use on the trip. We purchased chorus backpacks earlier in the planning process and that’s what I planned to use for carry on luggage.  I think I’ll pack the extra backpack for travel items home.
Backpack, itinerary, rain poncho and other items from C.I.E. Tours
       It was so difficult to relax, now that we have all of our official papers in hand. But Anna had some Irish beers on hand to help with the process. Bob manned the grill for us, and we all celebrated Labor Day in a feasting fashion. 
Sally and Sarah toasting the trip
Pat and Bob gassing up the grille
Sally, Mary Beth, Pat and Lynda discussing the trip
Anne and Carol getting excited about the travel
Time for some food
Sarah, Sally, Peggy and Lynda trying to relax
Move over, Esther Williams!
     During the meal, Peggy handed out packing lists for all members. Thank heaven she’s experienced in overseas travel. 
Peggy's comprehensive - but light weight - packing list

     She broke the list down by carry on, checked luggage, and things you better have handy – like, your passport. We took some time to go over the list of songs for the trip. At that point – and maybe this one too, not sure- I haven’t passed all of them. I’m not alone there either. But we have time to rehearse during a five-hour layover in Newark.
     Those who are not singing, but enjoying the trip with us, got a chance to plan some “you’re stuck singing and I’m free to venture elsewhere” trips. Looks like a lot of our friends will leave us at the Convention in Castlebar and take a bike tour near Westport. They must share pictures with us all! Self, next trip over is a purely tourist venture.
Getting ready with safety gear and Euros
     Going over Peggy’s list, I saw I needed to purchase a few things, like: a passport holder, international adaptors, currency, and small toiletries.
    
      Now it’s time to get organized. Dig out Fido (my spinny suitcase). 
Fido even looks hungry... ready to pack up
     Think layers, Self. It should be chilly and damp there, so make sure you are staying warm enough. When the toes get cold, you are cold all over. Costumes must be organized and packed. Time to get the stage make-up out again, and thank heavens, no false lashes are needed. I’m may treat myself to wearing jewelry on the trip. Clothes have to be comfortable. Decisions: pack or carry on the C-Pap? I may pack it on the way over, since I do nap without it. But on the way home, I may do carry  on, since I’ll probably fill the space in the Fido with souvenirs and other mementos.
     Ok, it’s time to roll! Time to pack up and get going.
   
     Under 24 hours and counting…

Photos by Marge McGugan. No reuse without permission.

1 comment: